Oubliette is a cleverly told tale and trek through history where the
past and present collide. If you come out the other end of this book
with all of your fingernails intact, you are a better woman than I.
—Lisa Goich, Author, 14 Days: A Mother, A Daughter, A Two-Week Goodbye
Official Contest Rules Oubliette Fan Fiction Contest — Also Known as Oh Lá Lá Oubliette Contest, or Oh Lá Lá Oubliette Fan Fiction Contest
Grand Prize is a trip to France
Second Place Prize is Dinner with Vanta M. Black
Third Place Prize is an Oubliette — A Forgotten Little Place Deluxe Gift Basket which includes an autographed hard cover copy of the book.
Additional prizes include five autographed hard cover copy prizes of Oubliette — A Forgotten Little Place.
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. PURCHASE DOES NOT INCREASE ODDS OF WINNING.
Open to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia and areas where such a contest is legal and free of regulations, laws, and any specific requirements that conflict with the rules and terms of the contest. This contest is void where prohibited. Open to persons 18 years of age or older. Odds of winning based on the total number of entries and the quality of the submission.
The Contest is administered by Black Chateau Enterprises, dba Black Chateau Publishing, known as the Company, and any questions, comments or complaints regarding the Contest must be directed to the Contest administrator. The Contest sponsor(s), promotional partners and administrator is herein collectively referred to as the Contest Entities.
1. To participate, submit your original work of fiction based off the book Oubliette—A Forgotten Little Place by Vanta M. Black before midnight, April 30th, 2017. All submissions should be a minimum of 500 words and no more than 10,000 words.
Submissions need to include characters, settings, and/or concepts from the original novel, written in a new, original way. Entries will be judged based on the following criteria: creativity, story structure, ability to tell a compelling story, how well the story complements or enhances the original, grammar and spelling, and originality. Judges consist of a panel of writers, creatives, and Vanta M. Black.
Entries may be submitted by completing the website form at www.VantaMBlack.com and by sending the entry to Bonjour@VantaMBlack.com in a Word or PDF document. Hardcopies can be mailed to Black Chateau Enterprises, 8223 Wynne Ave., Reseda, CA 91335. All entries must include name, email address and phone number to be eligible.
2. Entries must include full name, physical address, phone number, and email address. All entries must be received during the designated Contest Period. Limit one (1) winner per household. The Company assumes no responsibility for contestants not making timely entrants due to delays of the internet or mail service. The Company is not responsible for lost, late, illegible, misdirected, mutilated, postage-due or incomplete entries, notifications or mail. Contest entries must contain all information requested and must be received on or before the deadline for registration to be deemed valid. All Entries become the property of Company and will not be returned.
3. The contest will be conducted April 9th 2016 through April 30th 2017. Deadline for entries is April 30th 2017. Grand prize winner will be announced by June1st, 2017. Second and Third Place winners will be announced June 1st, 2017. Five autographed hard cover copies of Oubliette — A Forgotten Little Place by Vanta M. Black will be announced June 1st, 2017.
4. Conditions on Participation: If the entrant is unable to verify registration information the entrant will automatically be disqualified and their prize will be forfeited. The Company reserves at its sole discretion the right to choose an alternative qualifier in the event that that a qualifier has been disqualified or is deemed ineligible. The Company is not responsible for any change of email address, mailing address and/or telephone number of entrants. Notification is deemed to have occurred immediately upon placing of a phone call or sending of an e-mail or any other form of communication Company may use to contact the qualifier and/or a potential winner. The Company is not obligated to leave voice mail, answering machine or other messages. The Company is not responsible for and shall not be liable for late, misdirected or unsuccessful efforts to notify a qualifier or potential winners. If the potential winner does not claim the prize within the appropriate time given upon notification or unless otherwise stated herein, the entrant will automatically be disqualified and their prize will be forfeited, no alternative prize will be substituted. Furthermore eligible contestants agree as follows: All decisions of the judges will be final. By participating, you agree (a) to be bound by these Official Rules; (b) as between you and the Company, that the decisions of the Company is final on all matters relating to the Contest; (c) you are not participating on behalf of any employer or third party; (d) in the event that you do not comply with the rules, then the eligible winner will be disqualified. The Company, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to select an alternate qualifier and/or potential winner at that time.
5. The Grand Prize Package will include the following:
• Round-trip airfare for winner and one guest to Charles de Gaul airport in Paris, France.
• 4 days and 3 or 4 nights standard hotel accommodations at French hotel to be determined at the sole discretion of the Company; this hotel may be a B&B style chateau in the Loire Valley.
• Ground transportation for the winner and one guest from Paris to the Loire Valley.
• Other “extras” as determined at the sole discretion of the Company. This may include wine tasting, tickets to sights, dinner, and other activities.
• Travel must be scheduled before December 31st, 2017.
6. The Second Place Package will include the following:
• Dinner to a four-star or five-star restaurant with Vanta M. Black for the winner and a guest. Location to be determined at the sole discretion of the Company.
• Restaurant location to be in winner's hometown or nearby city. Black will travel to the winner.
• Dinner to last a minimum of two hours.
• Includes an appetizer, dinner entree, and desert for winner and their guest.
• Includes maximum of one beverage for winner and guest. (Additional beverages and food items may be purchased at the sole discretion of the Company.)
• Travel, parking, gas or mileage fees are the sole responsibility of the winner and/or their guest.
• Dinner must be scheduled before December 31st, 2017.
7. Third Place Prize will include the following:
• A deluxe gift basket which includes an autographed hard cover copy of Oubliette — A Forgotten Little Place by Vanta M. Black.
• Additional gift basket items may include, but are not limited to: chocolate/candy, candle(s), fuzzy socks, book marks.
• Prize will be mailed to winner.
• Company will pay for postage, shipping and handling.
• Winning deluxe gift basket prize will be mailed by July 31st, 2017.
8. The autographed hard cover copy prizes of Oubliette — A Forgotten Little Place will include the following:
• Five winners to receive a hard cover, signed copy of Oubliette — A Forgotten Little Place by Vanta M. Black.
• Prizes will be mailed to winners.
• Company will pay for postage, shipping and handling.
• Winning signed copies of Oubliette — A Forgotten Little Place by Vanta M. Black will be mailed by July 31st, 2017.
9. The Grand Prize Package does not include additional nights, additional meals, wine, bar, or incidental expenses. Travel arrangements must be made in cooperation with The Company who will choose the airline. To make reservations the winner must contact The Company at least 60 days prior to anticipated departure. Reservations may be required to include a Saturday night stay and are subject to availability. Reservations must be finalized by December 31st, 2017. Airline tickets may not be upgraded, assigned or transferred and are non-refundable. Trip must be completed prior to February 1st, 2018. Blackout dates may apply. Passports, visas and identification needed for travel are the sole responsibility of the winner and their guest. The Company is not responsible for canceled flights, postponed transportation, natural disasters, acts of war or terrorism, or any event that might prohibit or postpone the trip.
10. Trip Prize Conditions: The Grand Prize Package shall include round-trip, coach class air transportation for winner from a major commercial airport near winner’s home to the destination and a double occupancy standard hotel room as specified in herein. Actual value of trip may vary based on point of departure and airfare fluctuations. Any difference between stated approximate retail value and actual value of Prize will not be awarded and is specified in these Official Contest Rules. Selection of airline and hotel are solely within Company’s discretion. Meals, gratuities, luggage fees, incidental hotel charges and any other travel-related expenses not specified herein are the sole responsibility of winner and guest. All travel must be taken on dates specified or prize will be forfeited and may be awarded to an alternate; no alternative travel dates are available. Exact travel dates and arrangements may be subject to availability. Winner and travel guest must travel on same itinerary. Persons under the age of 18 years will be required to travel with a legal adult guardian. Travel guests must sign and return a travel release before any ticketing of travel occurs. Winner and guest must have all necessary identification and/or travel documents (e.g., a valid U.S. driver’s license, passports) required for travel. Airline tickets are non-refundable/non-transferable and are not valid for upgrades and/or frequent flyer miles. All airline tickets are subject to flight variation, work stoppages, and schedule or route changes. If in the judgment of Company, air travel is not required due to winner's proximity to France, ground transportation will be substituted for roundtrip air travel at Company’s sole and absolute discretion. The difference in value will not be awarded to the Grand Prize winner. Company shall not be responsible for any cancellations, delays, diversions or substitution or any act or omissions whatsoever by the air carriers, hotels, venue operators, transportation companies, prize providers or any other persons providing any Grand Prize-related services or accommodations. Additional prize award details and travel information to be provided to the Grand Prize winner at the time of notification. Grand Prize winner and guests are also responsible for obtaining travel insurance (and all other forms of insurance) at their option and hereby acknowledge that the Company has not and will not obtain or provide travel insurance or any other form of insurance. Lost, stolen or damaged airline tickets, travel vouchers or certificates will not be replaced or exchanged. Conditions and restrictions may apply. The prize(s) that may be awarded to the eligible winner(s) are not transferable, redeemable for cash or exchangeable for any other prize, except in Company’s sole discretion. Company is not responsible for the cancellation or rescheduling of any event and no substitution or compensation shall be awarded. Company reserves the right to not award the grand prize associated with that canceled event, without any payment or obligation to the winner or potential winner.
11. Location of seats and tickets are in Company’s sole discretion. Winners are solely responsible for any taxes on their respective prizes. No cash equivalent or substitution of any prize is offered, except at the sole discretion of the Company. If a prize, or any portion thereof, cannot be awarded for any reason, Company reserves the right to substitute such prize with another prize of equal or greater value, as determined by the Company in its sole discretion. Winner(s) must present state authorized identification prior to being awarded the prize. If a winner cannot be contacted or is disqualified for any reason, the Company reserves the right to determine an alternate winner or not to award that winner’s prize, in its sole discretion. If actual value of the prize is less than the stated, or the winner or his/her guest(s) and/or eligible travel companion(s) forfeit, do not use, or are determined ineligible for any portion of the prize, the winner will not receive the difference between the actual and approximate retail value, and such difference will be forfeited. ALL PRIZES ARE AWARDED “AS IS” AND WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE), AND ALL SUCH WARRANTIES ARE HEREBY DISCLAIMED. No more than the advertised number of prizes will be awarded.
12. The Grand Prize is subject to certain terms and conditions as specified herein. Winner and guest must comply with all rules and regulations. Failure to do so may result in forfeiture of prize in its entirety. The prize elements will be awarded as described herein (subject to legal restrictions, etc). If the winner is disqualified or is found to be ineligible for the contest, the Company reserves the right to determine an alternate winner or not to award the prize, at its sole discretion. The qualification of all entrants is at the sole discretion of the Official Judges and The Company.
13. By accepting the Second Place Prize, the Third Place Prize, the Autographed Hard Cover Copy prizes of Oubliette — A Forgotten Little Place, or the Grand Prize, all winners must agree to the prize conditions on participation and must sign a release to be eligible to receive a prize and hereby agrees that: (i) all decisions of the Company, judges, and Contest Entities with respect to the Contest are final and binding; (ii) to release the Company and sponsors and their respective parent companies and affiliates, officers, directors, employees, agents, and licensees from any and all claims in connection with the Contest and the award or use of the prizes; (iii) to allow the Company to, and sponsors to use their names, voices, photographs, likenesses, biographical material, in any advertising or broadcasting material relating to this contest, without additional financial or other compensation; and (iv) where allowed by law, sign a publicity release confirming such consent prior to acceptance of the prize. The Contest Entities are not responsible or liable to any entrant or winner or any person claiming through such entrant or winner for failure to supply the prize or any part thereof, by reason of any acts of nature, any action, regulation, order or request by any governmental or quasi-governmental entity (whether or not the action, regulations, order or request proves to be invalid), equipment failure, threatened terrorist acts, terrorist acts, air raid, blackout, act of public enemy, earthquake, volcanic eruption, war (declared or undeclared), fire, flood, epidemic, explosion, unusually severe weather, hurricane, embargo, labor dispute or strike (whether legal or illegal) labor or material shortage, transportation interruption of any kind, work slow-down, civil disturbance, insurrection, riot, or any other cause beyond the Contest Entities’ sole control. All other costs and expenses related to prize acceptance and use not specified herein as being provided are the sole responsibility of Grand Prize winner. The Company does not make, and is not responsible in any manner for, any warranties, representations, or guarantees, express or implied, in fact or law, relating to any prizes, regarding the use, value or enjoyment of the prize, including, without limitation, its quality, mechanical condition, or fitness for a particular purpose. The Company will have no further obligation to winner.
14. You must be 18 years of age or older to win. No purchase necessary. One qualifier per household. You need not be present to win. Void where prohibited.
15. The contest is open to everyone with the exception of employees of the Black Chateau Enterprises, their families, agencies and representatives.
16. All taxes relative to the prize packages are the sole responsibility of the winner. No prize substitutions, assignments or transfers. In the event that the winner is unable to take the trip or attend the dinner, he or she may be offered a cash prize, however this arrangement is at the sole discretion of the Official Judges and the Company. If trip or dinner cannot be used by date specified, then trip will be forfeited.
17. By participating, all entrants acknowledge and agree that they have entered the contest of their own free will, that the full rules and details of the contest have been made available to them in writing and they therefore understand and agree that neither Black Chateau Enterprises, Vanta M. Black, their agents, affiliates, sponsors, representatives or employees, have any liability with respect to any damages out of acceptance and use of a prize. By entering this promotion, participants agree to be bound by these rules.
18. Approximate value of the Grand Prize is $5000. Prize value may vary depending upon departure location and time of travel. Conditions and other restrictions apply. Approximate value of the Second Place prize is $500. Prize value may vary depending upon the restaurant, items ordered, and other variables. Approximate value of the Third Place Prize is $100. Prize value may vary depending on items included in the gift basket. Approximate value of the autographed hard cover copy prizes of Oubliette — A Forgotten Little Place are $35.00 each.
Oubliette — A Forgotten Little Place copyright © 2016 by Vanta M. Black.
Website, art, cover, and jacket design copyright © 2016 by Black Château Enterprises.
EXPLORE VERONICA'S DESK
BACK TO VERONICA'S DESK